Sunday, November 21, 2010

November 21 Update

It's been a fun week, my sister flew in from a long ways away to stay a few days with us. My boys absolutely loved her, Ian even showed her around his whole classroom at school - he hasn't even done that for John or I :). And, she got to meet Ellie, since the airport is in the city Ellie is in. She got some good pictures of Ellie while the sun was coming in the window and she was out of her bed, here's one that shows her hair really well! It's quite red, just like we like it around here!

She doesn't like to be disturbed sometimes.

She was wide awake for a little while.

Ellie is doing well. She's going to be 7 weeks old tomorrow (and 34 weeks gestation), and she is at 3 lb 12 oz! She has gained a full 2 pounds from her lowest weight. She is still being fed milk through a feeding tube (that's what is in her mouth, it goes directly into her stomach) and within the next week or two they'll let her start trying to take a bottle. Yesterday the doctor took her off the CPAP and she's on the high-flow nasal cannula full time. Last weekend it didn't work to take her off CPAP so she got put back on, we'll see if it works this time. Then if she does okay, the next step is to slowly lower her flow on that to see if she can come off altogether. She'll probably soon be able to be out of an isolette and into an open crib, as she's getting big enough and old enough to maintain her own body temperature better. Those are the things she has to do to be able to come home - breathe, eat, and stay warm. Sounds easy! I sure hope it's easy for her :). She's doing just what she should for her gestation right now, the doctor is pleased with her progress and we can't be happier ourselves. She'll be home before we know it. My sister organized and put away all her clothes so I hope we're ready when the time comes!

9 comments:

Mel said...

Love the hair!!!

Kellie said...

yay!

Garth and Linda said...

She really looks like a little Prestwich.

Maria said...

She is more beautiful each new picture you post. I'm so happy she's doing so well. I can't wait to hold her myself :) I'm also partial to red heads!

Nat said...

Yay Ellie! So glad you got to spend time with your sister! Wish I could do the same with mine.

Mom said...

She certainly looks like her family! Cute photos and good to hear the news.

Mom

Andrew, Collette, Douglas, and Claire said...

Those are great pictures. I love the one with her eyes open looking so intently at something.

mljohnson said...

Happy Days!! Keep up the good work, Ellie! I know a few people who would love for you to come home in a stocking for Christmas!
:)

Love to All!

Laurie

Deb said...

are you ever really ready for them to come home? :) but you'll be fine when the time comes -- soon!

it was so fun! and i missed the blizzard, so perfect timing, too. :)